'Newport First Stop' - 100 Years of News Stories
[ Contents ] [ Acknowledgements ] [ Preface ] [ Postscript ] [ Chronology ]
[ 1800 - 29 ] [ 1830 - 39 ] [ 1840 - 49 ] [ 1850 - 59 ] [ 1860 - 69 ] [ 1870 - 79 ] [ 1880 - 89 ] [ 1890 - 99 ]
[ 1830 ] [ 1831 ] [ 1832 ] [ 1833 ] [ 1834 ] [ 1835 ] [ 1836 ] [ 1837 ] [ 1838 ] [ 1839 ]

Newport Past
[ Picture Gallery ] [Home Page ]


Merlin 1st January, 1831
Watchmen Appointed

The commissioners under the Act for Lighting have appointed Watchmen from the present period to the 25th March. No watch boxes are allowed, and the watchmen are to go their rounds every hour, from ten o'clock at night to six o'clock in the morning.

Merlin 1st January, 1831
Newport National School for Girls

The examination for girls of the Newport National School is to take place this day; and Sir Charles Morgan has fixed Tuesday next for the public examination of the boys of the Newport British School, when a variety of trinkets and some fancy articles, provided by the ladies of Tredegar, will be disposed of by way of lottery for the benefit of the institution.

Merlin 15th January, 1831

The absence of a Reverend gentleman and a young widow (mother of five children) from their respective homes has caused an infinity of scandal to be circulated among the gossips of this town and neighbourhood. Dark hints, suspicious words, and broken sentences are bandied about. The most prominent expressions are "elopement" and "America".

Merlin 15th January, 1831

The total numbers of vessels cleared outwards at the port of Newport in the year ending 5th of January, 1831 was 8,080. Coal shipped during the same period 466,687 tons.

Merlin 15th January, 1831
Narrow Escape

On the 5th inst. a woman in an attempt to cross the road in High Street, Newport as the Mail was passing, was thrown down by the fore horse, and though the wheel of the coach passed over her bonnet, she fortunately escaped without injury.

Merlin 5th February, 1831
The Missing Child

Jane Prosser, the girl advertised as missing in our last number, has been discovered hanging in a wood a short distance from the house of her parents. This discovery is reported to have been made through the sagacity of her terrier dog who accompanied the child from her house. A few days ago the dog returned and appeared very restless, running to and fro in the direction of the wood. On being followed he led the way to the spot where the girl was found.

Merlin 5th February, 1831
Ball at the Kings Head Inn

This town was enlivened on Tuesday 25th by a ball and supper given by the bachelors of Newport and the surrounding area. There has not been anything of this kind known in the town for many years; an unusual excitement and bustle was caused throughout all classes. For fifteen years or more there had been no such affair as the expected assembly in Newport, and the extent of the preparations were proportioned to the novelty of the entertainment. Pirouettes and Ariettes were practising in every mansion, and it was even whispered that some well known gentlemen were marshalling their limbs under the baton of a dancing master, and bending those knees and drilling those feet in the mazes of the Quadrille. The invitations were necessarily limited with very few exceptions to the neighbourhood of the town. Notwithstanding this restriction, about 140 individuals of the highest respectability, assembled.

Among the visitors may be mentioned Sir Charles Morgan Bart., Mr. and Mrs. Morgan from Ruperra, Col. Augustus Morgan, Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell, Crawshay Bailey Esq., Captain Baugh and Mr. Black of 93rd Highlanders, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Prothero and family, Mr. Mrs. and Miss Powell of the Gaer. etc. etc.

The ball commenced with a country dance led off by Sir Charles Morgan and Mrs. Powell. Quadrilles and waltzing followed. About 12 o'clock supper was served. Afterwards dancing was resumed with renewed spirit. Sir Charles Morgan again taking his place among the lively group, showing the pleasure he felt in the society of his neighbours and friends. It is the hope of all the inhabitants of the town that this ball will be a prelude to many others.

Merlin 26th February, 1831
Trade in Newport

A friend has furnished us with the following statistical memoranda of the trade of this flourishing sea-port - Year ending December, 1830 - 7163 vessels cleared out laden with 519 thousand tons of coal, 916 vessels with 106 thousand tons of iron.

Merlin 26th February, 1831
Caution to Publicans

At a Petty Sessions held for the division of Wentllooge (sic) at the office of Mr. Thomas Jones Phillips, in the town of Newport, on Saturday 12th February 1831 before James Coles Clark and John Hammon Pritchard Esq., Mary Watkins of the parish of St. Woolos, publican, was convicted in two penalties of 40 shillings each for having on two different days kept her house open for the sale of beer contrary to the provisions of the new Beer Act.

Merlin 9th April, 1831
Fortunate Escape

On Thursday morning as Mr. Thomas Phillips, Jun. of Newport, was descending on his road to Usk Sessions at a very steady pace, his horse made a stumble and endeavouring to recover himself fell with great violence and rolled over on his back where he remained with his legs in the air. Mr. Phillips finding in the first instant that there was no possibility of saving the horse, sprung with great presence of mind from the saddle and alighted with safety on his feet. The horse was so stunned by the fall that it was with some difficulty that Mr. Phillips and a man who happened to pass at the time could get him on his legs again.

Merlin 12th April 1831
Tremendous Thunder Storm

This town was visited last night by one of the most terrific thunder storms ever witnessed. The lightning was the most vivid and varied in colour ever remembered by the oldest inhabitant; long continued were the flashes (occasionally forked) that they might be compared to the "fire that ran along upon the ground". The thunder was very near and awfully grand. At half past seven o'clock a thunderbolt burst with a tremendous explosion upon the premises of Mr. Bindon; it shook the whole house and caused the very walls to vibrate; several panes of glass were broken and numerous articles were thrown about with great violence. A large ball of fire was observed descending in a north easterly direction and is supposed to have fallen near the river. The air at the time was highly impregnated with sulphur. A hay mow was partially burnt but no further damage has yet been ascertained.

Merlin 23rd April, 1831.
Politics and Mr. Thomas Prothero

We understand that a connection which has so long subsisted between Sir Charles Morgan Bart. and Thomas Prothero Esq. of Newport to the natural advantage of both parties, is likely to be dissolved in consequence of a difference in their political opinions. Every other report which has been circulated on this subject is entirely without foundation. It is hardly creditable to Mr. Prothero's character for integrity and independence.

Merlin 30th April, 1831
Outrages Committed by the Reforming Party of the Borough

Public notice was yesterday given, on the instructions of the Mayor, by the Cryer, that the freedoms of those who intended to support Mr. Hall should be taken up this day, and the burgesses were required to attend at the King's Head at seven o'clock in the evening and which meeting accordingly took place. In the meantime houses were opened by Hall's friends and music was allowed to parade the streets, which collected together a mob of the lowest order - drunkenness and mischief were the result. Passing the house of Mr. Webber the drum beat the tattoo by way of a signal for the mob to commence action. The cry of "down with the blues" immediately followed, preceded by a volley of stones some weighing a pound each. It continued until the windows on which the attack was made were totally demolished. Mr. Webber's two daughters were sitting at a window but fortunately escaped unhurt. The windows of Mr. Rogers, the draper, and Mr. Jones one of the Aldermen, were subsequently broken in the same manner. This is the commencement of "Reform" and the consequences to look forward to if the Reform Bill should pass.

Merlin 14th May, 1831
The Reception of Thomas Prothero at Newport

The enterprising spirit with which Mr. Prothero has embarked in every concern, tending to promote the prosperity and well doing of Newport, has long acquired for him an extensive influence and popularity in that town. He was first determined to propose an independent candidate for the Boroughs. Mr. Prothero was solicited to offer himself, and had he done so there is every reason to believe he would have been successful. He thought proper, however, to decline that honour which to others is of so great an object of ambition. The inhabitants of Newport, feeling that Mr. Hall's return was principally owing to the great exertions and able management of Mr. Prothero, determined to show the latter how much they appreciated his conduct. On his return from Monmouth on the evening of Thursday night he was met by a multitude of people with flags and music who preceded him towards the town, the concourse increasing all the way, until the assemblage was the largest ever seen at Newport. When the procession reached the Bridge the burgesses, who had voted for Mr. Hall, and many other of the respected inhabitants of the town, formed four deep and immediately preceded Mr. Prothero's carriage from which the horses were taken and which was dragged from thence through the streets of town a distance of a mile.

Merlin 11th June, 1831
Newport - Military

In consequence of the disturbance at Merthyr a party of the 93rd Highlanders stationed in Newport (about 25 men) started for the scene of action on Friday afternoon, in post-chaises and other conveyances as could be procured. On Sunday night about 11 o'clock, a detachment of the 3rd Dragoon Guards and on Monday morning another detachment of the same regiment, arrived at Newport from Wotton-Under-Edge and Dursley. They left Newport for Merthyr at 6 o'clock the same morning. On Tuesday Major Mackworth passed through Newport from London, which he had left at half an hours notice, to take command of four hundred infantry, which that day landed at Cardiff from Plymouth. About 8 o'clock on Tuesday night another party of the 3rd Dragoon Guards arrived at Newport by steam packets, from Bristol. They had left Trowbridge at about 11 o'clock that morning.

Merlin 8th July, 1831
The Unwitting Companion

We understand from our correspondent in Oxfordshire that young Mrs. Elizabeth Winkle, the only daughter of Oliver Parsons Esq. of Newport who was married last year at St. Woolos Church to Captain Horace Winkle of the Dragoon Guards, has been the unwitting dupe of Lady Pallister of Brierly Hall, Kington, Oxfordshire.

It appears that due to military commitments Captain Winkle placed his wife in the service of Lady Pallister as a companion, in order that she may have some interest to occupy her time whilst he was away on military duties.

Lady Pallister is well known for her philanthropic activities and is treasurer of many charitable organisations. One of young Mrs. Winkle's duties was to help Lady Pallister open the mail, much of which contained contributions from generous donors to the charity of their choice. On a good day, when the donations had been more than usual, M'Lady would say to her companion "Come now, Elizabeth, order the chaise and we shall go out to blue it". Her Ladyship and the young lady would then visit the most expensive restaurants in or near Oxford.

Captain Winkle, arriving on a short leave to see his wife, asked her if she was content with her position. "Oh yes", she said "Lady Pallister is so kind to me; she takes me with her to the most expensive places, particularly when she received a lot of money by the mail. She says we shall go to Bluitt but we never manage to reach there. Do you think you could take me there, as I would dearly love to see it?"

The good Captain hearing this told his wife to pack her bags as she was leaving. He immediately informed the authorities and M'Lady has been arrested and charged with embezzlement. We understand that she is due to appear at the Summer Assizes in Oxford.

Meanwhile young Mrs. Winkle is back in Newport living with her father, while the Captain has returned to his duties, and is almost certainly stationed a long way from 'Bluitt'

Merlin 9th July, 1831
Sad Demise of Edmund Blewett

On Saturday night last at Gloucester after three days illness, Edmund Blewett Esq. Barrister at Law of the Oxford Circuit, the son of Edward Blewett Esq. of Llantarnam Abbey in this County. On the evening of Tuesday the unfortunate deceased left the Usk Sessions in good health and spirits. On the following Friday he attended in court at the Gloucester Sessions, and performed his duty as one of the counsel for the prosecution against the Forest of Dean Rioters; at nine o'clock on Sunday night he was a corpse. His premature decease is supposed to have been occasioned by too close an application to the duties of his profession.

Merlin 23rd July, 1831
The Petition

The Committee of the Rouse of Commons appointed to consider Lord Worcester's petition against the return of Mr. Hall, after hearing counsel on both sides, came to the decision on Saturday last to the following determinations:

"That by the by-laws and usuage of the Borough of Newport the sons of freemen, and persons who marry the daughters or widows of freemen, have no right to be admitted as freemen of that borough."

On the announcement of this decision, Mr. Hall's counsel admitted that by the disallowance of so many voters on the part of the sitting member, the petitioner would have the majority upon the Poll; whereupon the Committee agreed upon the following resolution:

"That Benjamin Hall Esq. is not duly elected, and ought not to have been returned to serve in this present Parliament for the town and borough of Monmouth. That the Rt. Hon. Henry Somerset, commonly called Marquis of Worcester, is duly elected and will serve as member for the said borough."

Merlin 1st October, 1831
Clerical Disagreement

The Rev. A.A. Isaacson and the Rev. Thomas Boddington, his curate, have had a dispute which has ended in the dismissal of the latter from his office. This account has been sent us of the circumstances which led to this result. Friends of Mr. Boddington allege that his dismissal has been occasioned by his political principles which are at direct variance with those of the Vicar. It is asserted, however, on behalf of Mr. Isaacson that his Curate has not behaved to him with that respect and decency, which, whatever may be the difference of opinion, is due from a Christian minister to his spiritual superior.

The following is given as an example of the Curate's conduct to the Vicar. A few weeks ago the latter administered the Sacrement to Mr. C.M. McCarthy, one of the parishioners of St. Woolos on his death-bed, though it was supposed, and communicated about, that he did not believe in every part of the Holy Scriptures. This circumstance is said to have excited the wrath of the Curate, that he not only complained to the Vicar in private, but actually declared in the pulpit "that the Vicar had given McCarthy a passport to Hell".

The Vicar thinking himself aggrieved by such behaviour sent a letter of complaint to the Bishop. On Thursday night the Curate met the Vicar in the street and commenced an attack upon him. After calling him a dirty lying scamp, and saying he was a madman, who ought long since to have had the straitjacket, he threatened that he would give the Vicar a dressing from the pulpit on Sunday. To this outrageous conduct the Vicar replied, in a mild and gentleman-like manner, saying the Bishop should settle the business, upon which the Curate observed he did not give a fig for him or the Bishop.

On Tuesday last a meeting of the friends of Mr. Boddington took place in the Kings Head, Newport when the following resolution was passed.

Proposed by Mr. John Frost seconded by Mr. W. Morgan. - "That the Rev. A.A. Isaacson in accusing Mr. Boddington to the Bishop without first admonishing his Curate, has acted in an unchristian-like manner and that those of this meeting, who attend the Church, can place very little confidence in him, whose practice does not accord with his precepts."

Merlin 8th October, 1831
Rev. A.A. Isaacson and Rev. T. Boddington

The Rev. T.W. Langshaw is appointed Curate of Newport at St. Woolos Church in the room of the Rev. T. Boddington.

On Tuesday last another meeting was held at Newport to take into consideration the matter of Mr. Isaacson and Mr. Boddington at which meeting the following resolution was passed.

Proposed by Mr. John Frost, seconded by Mr. Townsend "This meeting is still of the opinion (after proper investigation) that the Rev. T. Boddington has been discharged from his curacy through differing with the Vicar in political matters.

Open letter from Mr. John Frost to the Bishop of Llandaff.

My Lord,

I have enclosed for your Lordship's perusal a copy of Resolutions entered into at a Public Meeting held at Newport on Monday last. It was the intention of a Deputation to wait on your Lordship but hearing that your Lordship meant to remain for some time at Llandaff, and fearing it might be inconvenient to receive the Deputation, they thought it would be better to address your Lordship in writing and they beg respectfully to solicit an answer.

I am My Lord very respectfully
Your obedient servant
John Frost

Newport 29 September, 1831
The Bishop's answer


I have perused the Resolution of the meeting held on 27th September of which you have sent me a copy. I can only observe that Mr. Boddington's licence was not withdrawn for the reason asserted, nor for any reasons except for those stated in a letter addressed to him by myself. To this letter I must refer all those who complain to me in Mr. Boddington's behalf. I have heard Mr. Boddington's own statement which sufficiently confirms the charge against him. The discretion which is vested in me I have exercised conscientiously, according to the best of my judgement, for the good of the Church, and for the sake of justice to an individual whom I am bound to protect from insult and ill usage.

Having said this much to correct what appears to have been a misapprehension on the part of the Meeting, I must be excused from entering any further into the transaction, unless I should be called upon by the Authorities, to which I alone am responsible, for the discharge of any official duties.

I am Sir, your faithful and obedient servant
E. Llandaff.

Merlin 26th November, 1831
Credulous Avarice

A singular instance of infatuated credulity lately occurred in the vicinity of this town. Two gipsies after making themselves excessively agreeable to a person who resides at Malpas, succeeded in persuading him that they had the power of increasing his wealth, and if he would place twenty sovereigns in a cupboard in his own house, after a given time their incantations would increase the sum four-fold. Their simple dupe contrived to borrow ten sovereigns off a friend, which with ten of his own, were wrapped in paper and with due ceremony were deposited in the receptacle appointed for the precious store, where the sum was to remain nine days without examination, and of course under a strict injunction of secrecy. At the expiration of the period the golden treasure was anxiously examined by the expectant candidate for the easily acquired wealth, when to his utter dismay he found his sovereigns were transmuted into five copper halfpence; the gipsies having adroitly made the exchange whilst his senses were doubtless occupied with thoughts of riches. Now his friends were over the hill and far away before he discovered the cheat.

Merlin 26th November, 1831
Newport Hydrophobia

The most distressing and fatal case of this kind has occurred in the past week. A fine young man upwards of twenty years, the son of Mr. William Jenkins blacksmith. On Tuesday last he complained of illness which he stated to arise from cold. He grew worse and a surgeon was called in, when strong symptoms of hydrophobia manifested themselves. On Wednesday the case was very distressing; water was applied to his mouth, which he rejected with signs of great agony. The surgeon who attended the young man called in a brother practitioner to witness the painful case, and they together tried various experiments to satisfy themselves and the public of its nature. A basin of water was offered the patient, he attempted to reach it, and then in the greatest agony repeatedly sprung from his bed. He continued thus to suffer until eight o'clock on Wednesday evening, when death closed the heartrending scene.

[ Back ]

'Newport First Stop' - 100 Years of News Stories
[ Contents ] [ Acknowledgements ] [ Preface ] [ Postscript ] [ Chronology ]
[ 1800 - 29 ] [ 1830 - 39 ] [ 1840 - 49 ] [ 1850 - 59 ] [ 1860 - 69 ] [ 1870 - 79 ] [ 1880 - 89 ] [ 1890 - 99 ]
[ 1830 ] [ 1831 ] [ 1832 ] [ 1833 ] [ 1834 ] [ 1835 ] [ 1836 ] [ 1837 ] [ 1838 ] [ 1839 ]

Newport Past
[ Picture Gallery ] [Home Page ]