Newport Town Hall 1842: from The Illustrated London News February 11th 1843

The Illustrated London News, February 11, 1843



The accompanying description and engraving of the Newport Town-hall are both from an amateur correspondent: - Some time since we presented our readers with a sketch of the opening of the new dock at Newport, Monmouthshire. We now have the pleasure of introducing to them from another pencil the front elevation of the new hall lately erected in that rapidly-increasing and flourishing town. It is a fit accompaniment to the above-mentioned grand un­dertaking. This elegant and commodious Doric building was after the designs of J. H. Langdon, Esq., to whose good taste many of the recent improvements in the town must be attributed. The figure on the pediment is merely suggested by the artist as an appropriate and desirable embellishment. It occupies a central situation in the main street, and is a great ornament as well as a public benefit. In the grand feature of the building, the spacious hall, which, it is esti­mated, will contain 2000 persons, the great public meeting was held of the proprietors of coal and iron works of Monmouth and the shires adjacent, to consider the propriety of forming a railway to communicate with the iron and coal districts - a magnificent scheme, which (from the known spirit and enterprise of its projector) will most certainly be carried out to the incalculable advantage of the town and neighbourhood. The credit of the erection is due to the corporation, without whose energy and zeal for the public good the Newport which aspires to be the metropolis of Wales would still be without so desirable an edifice for the transaction of public business. It was opened on the 31st January with a ball and supper, which was attended by many of the leading families of the county, and the elite of the town and neighbourhood. The assembly on this occasion ex­ceeded in brilliancy and beauty any of former times. Among the company so happily brought together by this event were Sir C. Mor­gan, Bart.; Charles Morgan, Esq., and lady; Sir C. Salusbury, Bart.; Octavius Morgan, Esq.; Colonel Millman, Colonel Love, and the officers of the 73rd Regiment, the magnificent band of which was kindly allowed by Colonel Love to be present. We have to ex­press a hope in conclusion, that we may "see it's like again" before long; that this, our Town-hall, may be the means of assisting other charitable institutions, to the additional enlightenment and well-being of the community.


This was Newport's first town hall. It was situated in Commercial Street and accommodated the police station. For another view follow this link. Building work commenced in 1838, but the Home Office stopped construction work while they decided if Newport needed a town hall! It was completed in 1842 and opened officially on January 31st 1843. However it soon was found to be too small for the needs of a town growing at the rate that Newport was and a new town hall was built in 1884, for pictures and details follow this link. This also became too small for Newport's needs and in 1935 the decision was made to build the present Civic Centre.

Back   Index of Prints